Computer speakers as the name suggest render the user with a facility of listening to media files on their computer gadgets. May it be console gaming or watching videos or listening music on your desktop or laptop, there is an inevitable need of a good sound system without which the complete experience will be no less than a trash.
Manufacturers in the present era provide an inbuilt speaker system, the satisfaction of overall sound quality of which varies from person to person. Some may find it adequate while some may demand a louder and better sound system. For those preferring the latter, an external speaker set can be connected to the computer which would cater to the needs of the user.
Top Stereo PC Gaming Speakers Comparison
Types of speaker
Before making a purchase, it is important for the buyers to know and understand the various types of computer speakers being offered in the market, their features and functions.
Basically there are four different types of speakers.
• 2.0 speakers
• 2.1 speakers
• 5.1 speakers
• 7.1 speakers
Before gaining in depth information about the speakers, let us understand what these set of numerical values stand for. These set include two numbers segregated by a period. The initial number stands for the number of satellite speakers being provided in that particular sound system while the secondary number denotes the number of subwoofers attached to it.
Now, as stated above, the numerical value 2.0 shows the number of satellite speakers. That means in a 2 channel speaker set, there are two primary speakers. Similarly, the secondary numerical value suggests the number of subwoofers. Since the value is 2.0, it means there is no subwoofer attached to the set.
• These speakers are easily portable.
• This kind of sound system comes at an easily affordable price.
• 2.0 speaker systems are fit to be used with movable gadget such as laptops.
• If the need is basic level amplification, these are undoubtedly perfect to fulfill the requirement.
Number of satellite speakers offered in this type of sound system is two. Unlike the 2.0 style which has zero subwoofers, 2.1 audio system has one subwoofer. The subwoofer will accompany the sound output from satellite speakers with a lower bass sound.
• The bass output from the subwoofer is impressive.
• These are very popular among the masses particularly casual gamers and are best suited if the space available for the setup is small.
• Small desktops/laptops/workstations can go well with this type.
• These are small in size as they are designed to deal in low frequency.
Slightly varying from the concept of the “set of numbers”, a 5.1 speaker system is equipped with four satellite speaker, one center channel speaker. Like 2.1 version, the 5.1 speakers also have one subwoofer.
• These set of speakers produces a louder, high definition, surround sound.
• It goes well with every kind of computer.
• The setup area required for placing these speakers needs to be adequately enough.
• People desiring for a home theater experience and a great output of sound can choose this set to satisfy their requirements.
• When in the gaming territory, the demand includes the generation of sense of escapade, this is the perfect option.
This type of speaker is equipped with six satellite speakers a center channel speaker and one subwoofer. It is the best surround sound speakers for large room.
• If anything could be better than the 5.1 speaker system, then it undoubtedly is the 7.1 surround sound computer speaker system.
• It has the capacity to produce the highest quality sound with incredible loudness, clarity and amplification.
• The surround sound quality produced by the speakers is of the highest standards.
• This system being the most advanced as compared to rest of the speakers can provide the user with an unmatchable performance.
• These set of speakers is perfect for higher level gaming and watching HD quality videos.
Factors to look for before buying
Gaming speakers are entirely different from stereo speakers in features like amplifiers, sound output, and power requirement, it is important to figure out your requirements, the features computer system, functionality, its performance and your budget.
Here, we are providing our readers with a quick buying guide that will certainly help in making an apt choice of the soundbox.
People interested in higher level gaming, listening audios and watching high definition videos popularly opt for surround sound speakers. While those who want to set up a speaker system for their work stations generally opt for stereo speakers. Depending on the level of loudness, amplification and quality, one may easily choose from either of the speakers.
• Wired speakers: These soundboxs are equipped with a power cord that can be directly and easily attached to the desktop/laptop. Since the length of the wires is limited, the setup of these speakers needs to be made near the device restricting its portability to a certain extent.
• Wireless gaming speakers: As the name suggests, these speakers are devoid of any wires. These perform on wireless technology. Since there is no requirement of attaching the wires to the computer system, these set of sound systems are highly portable and easy to install. They work through a hub unit connected to the main computer.
Wattage refers to the amount of electrical power expressed in “watts” required to operate an electronic gadget. It is important to figure out the amount of power available and the amount that the device will need to operate. Choosing a speaker requiring less electric energy is always beneficial.
Surround sound can be classified in two types:
• Organic: Surround sound of this type is an output of multiple speakers that are setup around a room.
• Imitated: Imitated surround sound is an output of speakers which imitates the audio produced in organic surround sound. 2.0 And 2.1 speakers are popular among speakers that produces imitate surround sound.
Before making a purchase, the customer must first analyze the size of the room and the space available for setting up the sound system. For example, choosing speakers like 5.1 or 7.1 for a small room or 2.0 and 2.1 speakers for a large room will do no good. It is recommended to select a set of speakers which goes well with the size of the room and which can be easily set up in the space available.
Power handling refers to the amount of electrical power that set of speakers can bear without undergoing any damage or fault. The better the combat capacity the more durable the speaker is. It can be measured in two different ways namely RMS and peak.
• RMS: It refers to the amount of power a speaker can resist over a longer span of time. It is also known as nominal power.
• Peak: Peak shows the maximum amount of electrical energy that the speakers can combat for short bursts.
It is recommended that you should majorly consider RMS power over peak power while assessing the performance of the speakers.
While evaluating the performance of a set of speakers three major qualitative aspects should be considered.
• Sensitivity: It refers to the loudness of sound produced by the speaker and is measured in decibels per volt. A speaker having higher sensitivity will produce louder sound.
• Impedance: Impedance is measured in ohms and it indicates to the resistance required to drive the sound system. The average resistance in many speakers is 8 ohms while the high end ones may have a minimum of 4 ohms.
• Frequency: The range of sound generated by the speaker system is referred to as frequency. Lower frequency indicates lower pitch.
A speaker having multiple input option can source its input from various other gadgets other than computer such as mp3 player, iPod, DVD, pen drives, gaming console, etc. This facility provides the user with the choice of connecting the speakers to any device according to his convenience.
Top Seven recommended speakers Reviews in 2016
Best 2.1 Home Theater
Genius SW-2.1 2000 is an incredible low end inexpensive sound system which is perfect for gaming purpose, the best budget PC speaker. It supports almost every gadget and platforms including androids, tablets, PC, iPhone, etc. The RMS of this device is 45 watts and the bass sound produced by it is absolutely throbbing. This product is offered in two color variants: blue and black which can give your room an extra edge.
• Very compatible.
• Multiple input facility.
• Great design and color.
• RMS is quite good.
• The surround sound produced by the speakers is loud and clear.
• The setup is very convenient and easy.
• It comes at an affordable price.
• There is no remote provided with this set. Controlling has to be managed manually.
• The subwoofer handles only upto midrange.
• Upper treble response is not up to the mark.
• The satellite speakers are light in weight.
It comes with one subwoofer which generates earth pounding bass sound. Specially designed for the purpose of gaming, the wattage of its satellite speakers is 5 watts each while that of the subwoofer is 10 watts. Its RMS power is 20 watts and 40 watts of peak power. Affordable computer speaker which is best for small room.
• Fascinating blue LED that glows beautifully.
• Amazing sound output.
• Good bass response and equalizer.
• Led pulsates in accordance with the moves of the gamer.
• Set up is easy.
• Plastic encasement.
• No way to switch the LEDs off.
• No remote control.
This product is a powerful device which produces excellent sound and is absolutely perfect for high end gaming. It is a wireless model.
• It requires no physical connection to the computer.
• Good bass response and audio quality.
• Powerful speaker.
• No remote control
• It is not 100% wireless.
• Power control is not there on the satellite speakers.
Logitech X-540 for bass comes with four satellite speakers, one center channel and one subwoofer. The technology used in this set is frequency directed dual drive. The quality and loudness of sound is simply amazing and it is fit to be used in a large spacious room.
• A reasonable price for the specifications.
• Great sound and bass.
• Matrix mode.
• Easily set up and convenient to use.
• Cable of front speaker is short.
• A bit wobbly and unbalanced.
• Microphone input on control panel is not available.
This 5.1 sound system is very versatile, stylish and high end. It is equipped with desktop control pod. It includes wood cabinet subwoofers and bass reflex. With this set there comes a adapter cable. Its woofer produces high intensity sound and has an option of multiple inputs.
• Easy to set up.
• Easy to use control pad.
• Multiple input facility.
• Amazing sound.
• Cables are short in length.
• Middle speaker generates a lot more sound than the satellite ones.
• A lot of wiring needed to connect the speakers.
This high end sound system set can make your gaming experience insanely amazing. It has 7 speakers which produces wall cracking sound. The output of the sound system is 140 watts each while that of the subwoofer is a massive 230 watts. The front and center speaker is equipped with dual woofers. The 10 inch cones in the subwoofers are made of pure cotton. Frequency response of the center speaker is 55 HZ-50 kHz and that of the front speaker is also same.
• Great quality sound
• Tight bass and LFE effect is good.
• Reasonable pricing in respect to the specifications.
• Surround speakers are weaker than front speakers.
• Weak wiring.
• Suitable for movies and games but certainly not good for music.
Cyber acoustic 30 is a great performer when it comes to gaming. The wattage of the sound system is 30 watts. The satellite speakers are magnetically shielded and the subwoofers come in an acoustically balanced wooden cabinet. To give the product an extra edge, it is equipped with desktop control pod.
• Sound quality and loudness is good.
• It has the option of auxiliary and headphone jack input.
• Multiple input facility.
• On/off switch is slightly hard to flip.
• Peak sound is a bit uncomfortable to hear.
Computer speaker systems vary in many different aspects ranging from design to the technology used. Every product is different from others in terms of performance, power handling, frequency response, impedance etc.
When it comes particularly to gaming, gamers certainly like everything to be perfect, may it be graphics or the sound. The market offers a wide range of speakers having diverse specification. All you need to do is follow the buying guide, know what you need, gain information about different products and do check the products reviewed above because we try to bring you the best of all.